21st of August 2016
- Summary: Zapp or Pay by Bank app is a proposed mobile payment system provided by VocaLink in conjunction with several banks and building societies in the United Kingdom. Zapp is designed for individuals to pay businesses in shops, on the internet, or from paper bills using their own mobile banking app.
- Website: http://www.zapp.co.uk/
- Status: Pre-Launch
- Market: UK (n/a yet)
- Type: Bank consortia
- Ownership: VocaLink Group (https://www.vocalink.com/) in conjunction with several banks and building societies in the United Kingdom. Zapp is supported by Nationwide Building Society (http://www.nationwide.co.uk/) and banks including HSBC, Santander and Metro Bank.
- Functions: Retail payments only
- Payment Mode: Account to account
- Channel: WEB, In-App
- Roadmap: In-Store payments
- Registration & set up: n/a yet
- Making a payment: Clicking the Pay by Bank app symbol online will automatically open consumers’ bank app on their phone. Once securely logged in, they can quickly complete payments. Consumers will be able to see their account balances before they pay and choose different accounts to pay from.
Payment Flows & Technology
- Merchant perspective: Request to pay sent from Merchant to Pay by Bank app via Gateway/Distributor and Pay by Bank app returns unique Transaction ID. Tokenised connection established between Consumer & Merchant. CONSUMER MOBILE BANKING APP: Request to pay retrieved by CFII and displayed to Consumer who confirms payment. CONSUMER BANK: CFI initiates Payment to Distributor’s designated Bank account. CFI send confirmation to Pay by Bank app with FPS Transaction ID (and to Consumer). Pay by Bank app confirms payment (using the Transaction ID) to Distributor who advises Merchant.
- Security: Transactions are protected by a consumer’s existing bank app security. The payments use secure digital tokens, so customers don’t need to reveal any of their financial details to merchants when they are shopping.
- Strategy: n/a yet. It seems that Zapp’s plan is to “put banks firmly back into the middle of the payments process”. Zapp would charge banks and they would charge merchants for the use of the service.
- Payee fee: n/a yet
- Payer fee: n/a yet
- Launch date: UK (n/a yet)
- Closed Date: N/A
- Users: No data yet
- Retailers / merchants: No data yet. Although it is known that Sainsbury’s, Asda, House of Fraser, Thomas Cook and Shop Direct are among the major British retail brands that have already announced their support for Zapp (source: https://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=27568)
- Transaction volume: No data yet
- Transaction value: No data yet
- Other data points: No data yet
Links & Media
Contact (MobeyForum Members only)
- Name: N/A
- Address: N/A
- Email: N/A
- Phone: N/A