21st of August 2016
- Summary: PayPal is a cards-based and account to account digital wallet for retail and PTP payments operating in multiple markets (202 countries and 25 currencies) and launched in 1998. PayPal mobile wallet was launched in Sep 2013, USA.
- Website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/pay-in-stores
- Status: Live
- Market: US (1998; PayPal mobile Wallet, Sept ’13), PayPal is available in 202 countries and 25 currencies. Countries not supported by PayPal include Ghana, Turkey, Pakistan, Iraq, Afghanistan, in addition to the countries on the US economic sanction list.
- Type: Other
- Ownership: PayPal Holdings, Inc.
- Functions: Retail and P2P payments
- Payment Mode: Cards-based and account to account
- Channel: POS via QR code and picture taken at the time of application enrollment; In-App; WEB
- Roadmap: n/a
- Registration & set up: The app is available on App Store, Google Play and Windows Phone Store. To add a card to the digital wallet, user takes a picture of it using the camera on his phone. (Update to follow – Further information being obtained)
- Making a payment: Tap into a list of merchants who accept PayPal in a geographic area, by checking into the merchant when user is in the location (either using app, or by automatically sensing a PayPal beacon at the store), PayPal allows to make a payment using user’s PayPal funding sources. Authenticate with picture taken at the time of application enrolment. PayPal also supports QR code-based payments. (Update to follow – Further information being obtained)
Payment Flows & Technology
- Merchant perspective: (Update to follow – Further information being obtained)
- Security: Data encryption (browser is running TLS 1.0 or higher, which secures the communication from user’s browser to paypal.com; information is protected by SSL, ensuring information is encrypted and can’t be stolen when it’s sent across the internet; PayPal does not connect its firewall-protected services to the internet). PayPal Security Key: in addition to user’s password, user has to enter a One Time Pin (OTP), sent via SMS, that’s unique for each login.
- Strategy: (Update to follow – Further information being obtained)
- Payee fee: It depends on the country where the transaction is done. It usually is a percentage of the transaction amount.
- Payer fee: Consumer will have to pay a fee when doing person-to-person payments chooses credit or debit card to make a payment (2.9% of the transaction amount plus a fixed fee based on the currency of the transaction.). Otherwise, no charge for consumers.
- Launch date: US (1998; PayPal mobile Wallet Sept ’13)
- Closed Date: N/A
- Users: Over 173 millions (source: toptenreviews.com)
- Retailers / merchants: No data yet
- Transaction volume: No data yet
- Transaction value: No data yet
- Other data points: PayPal is available in 203 countries and 26 currencies (source: toptenreviews.com)
Links & Media
Contact (MobeyForum Members only)
- Name: N/A
- Address: N/A
- Email: N/A
- Phone: N/A